Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Creativity...

During medical school, I needed to find an outlet for my creativity. Growing up, I was drawing all the time. There are boxes of drawings, mostly cartoons, at my parents' place. In high school, I was the cartoonist for the school newspaper. Later, while studying history in college, I had a strip called The Perfect Paradigm that was also published in the school newspaper. I found the humdrum of medical school didn't satisfy my need for creativity, so eventually I approached the undergrad paper and got the job. I ran a strip 5x/week for the paper while also doing medical school and dealing with the onset of what has been a nasty neurological condition. I took third place two years in a row in the annual national SPJ Mark of Excellence awards. I look at the art in it now and just laugh. I had very little time to draw and was trying to balance too much stuff in my life. But, I really enjoy looking back at that time and being reminded that creativity is just a big part of who I am.

This is just a smattering of some of my favorites from that time. Perhaps I will redraw some of them.




















No comments:

Post a Comment